Heavy Equipment Operations, Pre-Apprentice
Are you a problem solver and a team player? Interested in working with your hands on large machines? Detail-oriented and conscientious?
Then you may be a good fit for Job Corps’ Heavy Construction Equipment Operations, Pre-Apprentice training program. Pre-apprenticeships are focused on preparing students for a successful experience in a Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP). That means your hands-on training will be based on industry standards in order to prepare you for high-skill, quality employment.
On the job, you will ...
- Drive, maneuver or control heavy machinery, such as motor graders, bulldozers, scrapers, compressors or front-end loaders
- Construct roads, buildings and other structures
- Build structures via pouring concrete and coordinating machine actions with crews in response to hand or audio signals
- Clean, maintain and make basic repairs to equipment
Some of the career options you will have ...
Individuals with credentials in Heavy Construction Equipment Operations go to work for construction companies or contractors. Heavy equipment operators typically work outside in almost every climate and weather condition. Some operators work in factories, mines or remote locations, or on large construction projects like highways and dams. Most work full time.
Students should also consider pursuing Advanced Asphalt Paving and other Advanced Training programs at Job Corps as part of their career pathway.
The credentials you will earn ...
The Heavy Construction Equipment Operations, Pre-Apprentice program, which is operated by our industry training contractor International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE), offers industry credentials and certifications to students who complete the program. Students should also earn a state-issued learner’s permit and driver’s license upon completion of the program.
What you’ll need to start training ...
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (can be earned at all Job Corps centers)
- Completion of all introductory and career preparation courses
- Passing scores on all written and performance tests
- Meet academic (math and reading) requirements